- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 6 Slices bacon, chopped
- 6 boneless chicken thighs
- 2 Cups chopped onions
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- chopped parsley for garnish
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 Lb chorizo sausage, crumbled
- 2 Cups Mahatma saffron Yellow rice
- 1/2 Tsp crushed saffron threads
- 2 Cups bottled clam juice
- 1 1/2 Cups Low salt chicken broth
- 1 Lb large uncooked shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 Dozen mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 1 Dozen clams, scrubbed (optional)
- 1 1/2 Cups frozen green peas
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Heat olive oil in Large, heavy pot or paella pan over medium heat.
- Add chopped bacon and cook until fat is rendered about 6 minutes.
- Using slotted sppon, transfer bacon to paper towel.
- Sprinkle chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add chicken to bacon drippings and cook over medium heat unitl brown about 7 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from pot.
- Add chopped onion, chorizo and garilc to same pot and saute’ until beginning to brown, scarping away any browned bits about 10 minutes.
- Stir in rice and saffron. Add clam juice and chicken broth slowly to pan, scraping up brown bits, bring to simmer.
- If using a paella pan, cover it with foil or pour rice mixture into 15x10x2 glass baking dish.
- Arrange chicken in rice mixture.
- Sprinkle with chopped bacon, red pepper and peas, cover dish with foil.
- Bake paella until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender about 30 minutes. Add mussels and clams from the last 15 minutes, so not to overcook them, total cooking time is 45 minutes.
- Discard any clams and mussels that did not open.
- Let paella stand 10 minutes
- Garnish with parsley
- Open that bottle of white wine (if you haven’t already )
- Serve with lemon wedges.
45 Minutes to make