For the brownie layer
- 1 (18 ounce) box brownie mix, prepared and unbaked
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
For the Oreo layer
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) package Oreo cookies (my pan fit 16)
For the caramel layer
- 1 (6 ounce) jar dulce de leche
- 1 teaspoon fleur de sel
For the chocolate chip cookie layer
- 1 (18 ounce) roll ready-made refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough,
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (at room temp)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the bottom of an 8×8 baking pan (or use a 9×13 pan if gooey centers bother you) with tin foil and then spray the foil liberally with baking spray.
- Make the brownie layer per box instructions (without baking) OR: In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the sugar and cocoa powder. Stir to combine and remove from the heat. Add the salt, vanilla and eggs to the batter and then whisk until combined. In a separate bowl, sift the flour and then slowly incorporate the flour into the batter until it’s all mixed. Set the batter aside.
- If making your own cookie dough: In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with a hand mixer. Add the eggs one at a time and then the vanilla, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl as you go. Add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and mix on low until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips and then set aside.
- Start by gently pressing the cookie dough into the bottom of the pan, making sure to create an even layer. (I found it helpful to use the back of a 1-cup measure cup.).
- Then add a layer of Oreos on top of the cookie dough. Nudge them as close together as possible without overlapping.
- Get ready for the gluttony: Remove the lid on the caramel sauce/dulce de leche and microwave for 35 seconds (until it becomes slightly warm and spreadable). Use a spoon to drizzle the caramel over the Oreos.
- Lastly: Pour the brownie batter on top of the caramel-Oreo layer. Use a spatula to make sure it’s even.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Test with a knife to see if the center is done. It’s OK if the knife has some brownie on it. It’s easy to over-bake the cookie layer if left in the oven too long.
- Once out of the oven, heat up the caramel again as in step 8. With a spoon, lightly drizzle the caramel over the brownies. Sprinkle with the salt.