- 1 lb. dried small white beans
- 6 cups of water
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tsp. Italian herb seasoning
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the beans in water overnight.
- Drain the water from the beans and place in slow cooker. Add six cups fresh water.
- Cook bacon pieces until done, but not too crispy. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Add drained bacon to slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove three cups of beans with a slotted spoon. Mash (I used a potato masher) or puree in food processor according to the texture you like. Return mashed beans to slow cooker. Cook for 30 minutes more to rewarm mashed beans.
- I served the soup in a bread bowl made from a small round loaf of sourdough bread.
Total Time: 40 minutes