- 4 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 T. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 6 T. sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 Tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 c. cold heavy cream
FOR THE FILLING:
- 6 peaches, blanched in boiling water and peel OR use canned peaches.
- If using fresh peaches, poach in equal amounts of water and sugar.
- If using canned peaches, skip to poaching and go right to adding:
- 1 t. vanilla and 1 Tablespoon dark Rum to the sugar syrup.
- 2 c. lightly sweetened, softly whipped, heavy cream
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- TO MAKE THE BISCUITS: Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl. Drop in the butter and, using your fingers or a pastry cutter (I opt for the pastry cutter) toss to coat the piece of butter then cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is pebbly. You will have pea-size pieces with a few larger and smaller. Perfect!
- Pour the milk mixture over the dry ingredients and toss and gently turn the ingredients with a fork until you have a soft dough. Dorie says when the dough comes together, you’ll probably still have dry ingredients at the bottom of the bowl – just use a spatula or your hands to mix and knead the dough until it is evenly blended. Do not overdo it or the dough will get tough. Even with all the flour mixed in, the dough will be soft and sticky.
- Spoon out about 1/2 c. of dough for each shortcake onto the baking sheet, leaving about 3 inches of space between the mounds. Pat each mound down until it is between 3/4 and 1 inch high. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, rotating the sheet from front to back at the midway point, until the shortcakes are puffed and five just a bit when prodded. Take out of oven and cool on rack.
- To Serve, take your poached peaches out of the refrigerator. Slice each shortcake in half horizontally. Put bottom half on plate, place peaches on top, make sure to include drizzling some of the flavored sugar syrup over the fruit and bottom shortcake. Add a cloud of heavy cream and put the top of the shortcake on, leaning them against the cream.