Qeema Indian Curried Beef Recipe
- 3 tbsp oil (any other than olive oil) (Note 1)
- 4 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced (about 4 tsp minced garlic)
- 1 large onion, finely diced (about 1 cup of onion)
- 1lb/500g ground beef (mince)
- ¾ tsp salt (I use table salt)
- 1 – 1½ tsp red chilli powder or cayenne pepper (Note 2)
- 1¼ tsp garam masala (Note 3)
- 1¼ tsp cumin powder
- 1¼ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- Cilantro/coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add ginger and garlic and saute for 1 minute until fragrant – don’t let it burn! Add onion and cook for 1 minute until it is starting to turn translucent.
- Add beef and cook, breaking it up as you go, until it changes from pink to light brown. Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT water. Cook until the beef is cooked through – about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add water, give it a stir, then put the lid on. Turn heat down to medium and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated.
- Garnish with red chilli flakes and cilantro/coriander leaves. Serve with rice – and/or flatbreads!