- 16 oz dry whole wheat macaroni
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil, cook the pasta 4 minutes. Drain, but do not rinse. Pasta should still be firm.
- Heat water in a large non-stick pan. Saute the onion, pepper, and garlic until tender.
- Add chicken, cooking until almost done.
- Add in the peas, spinach, tomato paste, and water.
- Continue to cook, stirring, until chicken is no longer pink. Season sparingly with salt and pepper and remove from heat while preparing bechamel.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Mix in the stock and milk, season with pepper.
- Whisk the cornstarch and water until smooth, then stir into sauce.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the mozzarella, and cook until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked pasta with 1/2 the bechamel sauce.
- Mix the chicken saute with the remaining bechamel and parsley in another bowl.
- Place half the pasta in a foil-lined baking dish, then top with half the chicken mixture, and half the remaining mozzarella.
- Add the remaining pasta, chicken and bechamel.
- Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Total Time: 30 minutes