- 6 jalapeno chiles
- 3 pounds ground beef chuck (80/20 fat)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 c. (about 2 ounces) crumbled queso fresco cheese or feta
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1/4 c. buttermilk
- 2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 avocados, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Broil the jalapeno chiles in the oven or in a cast iron skillet on the grill until the chiles soften and the skin is charred, about 10 minutes. Transfer the chiles to a bowl, cover and let cool slightly. Remove and discard the stems, skin and seeds; finely chop the chiles.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef and half of the chiles. Form into 6 patties; season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the queso fresco or Feta, mayonnaise, buttermilk, 1 Tablespoon olive oil and the remaining chiles. Season with salt and pepper, cover and refrigerate.
- In another bowl, toss the avocados, cilantro, onion and remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil; set aside.
- Grill the burgers, flipping once, for about 7 minutes for medium rare. Just before the burgers are finished cooking, grill the buns until toasted, about 1 minute. Place a burger on each bun bottom, top with some of the avocado salad, drizzle with some of the queso fresco or Feta dressing and set a bun top in place.