Honey Almond Granola:
- 4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup almonds (sliced, slivered or whole)
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup ground plus 2 T. whole flax seeds
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons honey, warmed if needed or part maple syrup
- 4 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- optional ingredients: raisins, dried cranberries, white chocolate chips, or any dried fruit
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
In a large bowl, mix lightly the oats, almonds, coconut, flax seeds, and brown sugar. In a separate bowl mix together the honey, oil, salt, cinnamon and vanilla. Pour the honey mixture over the oat mixture and mix gently, with spatula and eventually with your hands. Spread out onto a sheet pan and bake for 40 minutes (stir after the first 20). Cool, and add dried fruit, or white chocolate if desired. Store in airtight container.
Maple Pecan Granola:
Prepare Honey Almond Granola, above, substituting pure maple syrup for the honey and pecans for the almonds. If desired, add extra maple syrup to sweeten. I like to add dried cranberries and white chocolate to this kind for gifts.