- 1 c. minced Vidalia onion
- 1/4 c. minced green or yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 c. minced red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. Italian dry bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 c. ketchup
- 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T. steak sauce (your choice; I used A-1)
- 1 t. dry mustard
- 1 t. ground paprika
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. pepper
- 1 pound ground beef (I use 85/15 mix)
- 1/2 pound ground pork sausage
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 12 slices of cooked bacon (I used thick, center cut bacon)
- 1 recipe Fruit and Nut Pimiento Cheese (recipe follows)
- 6 hamburger buns, toasted on grill
- 6 slices tomato and the same for lettuce leaves
- Dijon mustard to be spread on burger bun tops
FRUIT AND NUT PIMIENTO CHEESE:
- 1 (8-ounce) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 c. finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 c. diced pimientos
- 1/3 c. minced Vidalia onion
- 1/4 c. dried cranberries, chopped
- 2 T. minced fresh parsley
- 1 t. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 t. ground paprika
- 1/8 t. salt
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, approximately 3 minutes. Add garlic, and stir for 1 minute. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl, and let cool completely.
- Add bread crumbs, egg, ketchup, Worcestershire, steak sauce, dry mustard, paprika, salt, and pepper to vegetable mixture, mixing well. Add ground beef, pork, and lamb, mixing until just combines. Shape mixture into 6 patties, and place on a baking sheet or plate. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat a grill to medium heat. Spray grill rack with nonstick, nonflammable cooking spray.
- Grill burgers, turning once, just until they feel firm when pressed in the centers (meat should bounce back), approximately 5 minutes per side. Remove from heat, and immediately top each burger with two slices bacon and desired amount of fruit and nut pimiento cheese. Serve hot, on buns, with tomato, lettuce and Dijon mustard.
DIRECTIONS FOR FRUIT AND NUT PIMIENTO CHEESE:
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, Cheddar, pecans, pimientos, onion cranberries, parsley, Worcestershire, paprika, and salt, mixing to blend. Refrigerate until ready to use.