Easy Applesauce Drop Doughnuts with Caramel Glaze Recipe
For the Drop Doughnuts:
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
- Oil for frying
For the Caramel Glaze:
- 1¾ cups powdered sugar
- ¾ cups caramel sauce
- 2 tablespoons milk
- To start, prepare the drop doughnuts. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugars together until fluffy. Add the eggs in, one at a time, and beat until smooth. Beat in the applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Add in the flour mixture, a small bit at a time, alternating with adding in the milk, and mix until just combined.
- Heat 3-4″ of oil in a deep, heavy bottomed pot or deep fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Drop batter, one tablespoon at a time, into the oil. Don’t overcrowd the pot, cook 4-5 max at a time. Fry til golden brown, flipping once halfway.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oil with a slotted spoon and set on a paper towel lined plate to cool. Continue until all of the doughnuts have been fried.
- Next, make the glaze. In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, caramel sauce, and milk. Mix until smooth.
- Dip the drop doughnuts in the glaze, turning to coat, and place on a wire rack set over a lined baking sheet. Allow the excess to drip off, let dry, and serve.