Chile Rellenos Casserole Recipe
- 3 7-oz. cans whole green chiles
- 1 pound cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 pound jack cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
- 1 13-oz. can evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- Wash the chiles, removing the seeds, and dry on paper towels. Grate the cheeses.
- Reserve ½ cup of each of the two cheeses, mixing them together in a small bowl.
- This will go on top of the casserole later, so you can place it in the refrigerator for now. In a medium-sized casserole dish, approximately 8 x 11 (9 x 13 is too big), layer ½ of the chiles, all of the cheddar cheese, the remaining chiles, then all of the jack cheese.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the yolks and add the evaporated milk, flour and salt, beating until frothy. Beat the whites separately for about a minute.
- Combine the two egg mixtures and beat for a few seconds longer so that they are well-mixed.
- Pour the egg mixture over the chiles and cheese. Bake at 300 for 1 hour. Then spread the tomato paste over the top. Sprinkle with the reserved cheese you placed in the refrigerator.
- Bake ½ hour longer.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.