Total Time: 30 minutes Serves: 4
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup peeled, thinly sliced fresh ginger
- ½ cup minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, stalks and outer layers removed
- ½ head large bok choy, stems trimmed and leaves thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Swirl olive oil into a large sauté pan set over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, lay chicken, skin-side down, into pan. Lower heat to medium and cook until skin is well browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to oven and bake, skin-side up, until chicken is cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make vinaigrette: Add ginger, shallot, mustard, vinegar, egg yolk, soy sauce and maple syrup to a blender and pulse to combine. With motor running, add grapeseed oil in a slow, steady stream until emulsified.
3. Halve fennel lengthwise and, using a mandoline or sharp knife, thinly shave crosswise.
4. Place fennel, bok choy, basil and cilantro in a large bowl and toss slaw with enough vinaigrette to coat. Serve immediately with chicken.