- Eight 3oz chicken thighs with skin
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ cups chopped canned tomatoes, with juice
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbs. No-salt-added tomato past
- ½ tsp. Dried oregano
- ½ tsp. Dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbs. Minced fresh basil
- Place the chicken skin side down in a large skillet and turn the heat to medium-low. When the chicken has rendered some fat, increase the heat to medium-high and brown on both sides, about 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove and discard the skin.
- Pour off all the fat from the skillet and wipe clean with paper towels. Add olive oil and warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and cook over medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato past, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper to the skillet along with the reserved chicken. Bring the liquid to a boil and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender and cooked through 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in the basil.
- Serve the chicken topped with one-forth of the sauce.