- 4 lbs chicken leg quarters
- 2.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped into 8 pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 cup wine (whatever you have left over)
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes (hunts or imported)
- 14.5 oz chicken stock (homemade or best you can afford)
- 4T salt
- 2T sugar
- 4T pepper
- 2T oregano
- 2T garlic powder
- olive oil
- In a medium size bowl combine flour 2T salt, 2T pepper, 2T sugar and 2T garlic powder. Mix.
- Coat chicken pieces in flour mixture.
- Heat a dutch oven or heavy sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add enough olive oil to coat bottom of pan.
- Braise chicken, about 5 minutes on each side. May have to do this in batches.
- Remove chicken from pan after browned. (Does not need to be fully cooked)
- After all chicken is browned, we must deglaze the pan.
- Add wine, and be careful of the steam. Make sure to scrap all the yummy bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken stock.
- Add tomatoes, which you will have to crush and you place in pan.
- Add 2 T salt, 2T pepper and 2T oregano.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer.
- Add chicken back into liquid.
- Simmer for an hour or until the chicken begins to fall off the bone.
- Serve over rice or pasta, or with big chunks of bread.
Time: 60 minutes