- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb chorizo sausage, casing removed (not the fully cooked kind)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 carrot, minced
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cups chicken broth (I usually use nonfat and low sodium)
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, cut in chunks
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with nothing added)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- Make the meatballs first: Combine everything and mix thoroughly.
- Form meatballs and roll between your palms (Otherwise, meatballs will fall apart in the soup).
- You should make around 20 to 24 meatballs, set aside.
- Combine chicken broth, onion, celery, tomatoes and their liquid, cumin, oregano and cilantro leaves in a large pot.
- Bring to broil, and reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drop meatballs in the soup (Make sure the soup is slightly boiling, the meatballs need to be cooked quickly).
- Return to simmer and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- You could top the soup with cooked rice, or just by itself.
Time: 55 Minutes