- 9 jalapenos, sliced in half, deseeded
- 3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs (I used panko, and had to use 1 cup for large jalapenos)
- 1/4 teas cayenne pepper (for the bread crumbs)
- 1/4 teas pepper (for the bread crumbs)
- 1/2 teas garlic powder (for the bread crumbs)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teas salt (for the bread crumbs)
- 2 oz cream cheese (I used 3oz or a little more for large jalapenos)
- 1/2 cup Mexican blend cheese
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 1/2 teas cayenne pepper (for the cream cheese,optional)
- 1/2 teas garlic powder (for the cream cheese)
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl add bread crumbs, 1/2 to 1 teas Cayenne, pepper, garlic powder & salt, mix. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add the egg & egg whites, mix. Set aside.
- In a plate, add flour. Set aside.
- To make cream cheese filling, add the cream cheese, milk & mexican blend cheese to a bowl. Stir until all ingredients are well incorporated. If you are using Cayenne, add and mix well.
- Slice the jalapenos in half lengthwise, deseed using a spoon. Stuff each Jalapeno with cream cheese mixture. Once completed, dip Jalapeno in the flour first, roll to make sure all sides are coated. Remove excess flour.
- Then dip Jalapeno into egg batter completely.
- Then roll in the breadcrumbs, making sure you coat all sides.
- Place the popper cream cheese side up on a foiled baking sheet. Repeat until all poppers are coated. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Check at 25 minutes, do not over bake, otherwise the cheese will begin to ooze out of the popper.
NOTE: I used fairly large jalapenos, so I had to adjust the amount of the ingredients..I also sprayed the tops with oil before baking to ensure a crunchy top:) These can also be dipped in a favorite sauce.
40 Minutes to make