Baked Apple Cider Donut Holes Recipe
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons applesauce
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, simmer apple cider and cloves together for 10-15 minutes. You want to reduce the apple cider to 1/2 cup. Remove cloves and place apple cider in the refrigerator to cool while you prepare the donut batter.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray mini muffin pan or donut pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, melted butter, and brown sugar together.
- Add buttermilk, vanilla extract, applesauce, and apple cider.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix until JUST COMBINED.
- Pour batter into prepared mini muffin pan or donut pan, filling 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 9-10 minutes for donut holes or 9-12 minutes for regular sized donuts or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
MAKE CINNAMON-SUGAR TOPPING:
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon together. Dip donut holes into melted butter and then roll into cinnamon-sugar mixture. Repeat for all donut holes. You may need more butter/cinnamon-sugar.